Well a couple weekends ago i got the opportunity to go up to jackson hole and run the snake river with my ward. It was a riot and was great because i didnt really feel like i knew too many in my ward and it was a chance to get to know some of them better. Now for the river. The guide said that this was the most water they have had since 99 and it was flowing at 20,000. that doesnt mean anything to me until you tell me that it ussually runs around 6,000. So some rapids were washed out while others were huge. One in particular was called lunch counter. they rate rapids on scales from 1 to 6, six being completely unrunable. lunch counter was a five. I got to sit on the front of the boat so i was the first to see the size of the beast. We fearlessly rowed into the heart of the monster. After rising about five feet from the first wave we faced about a 15 foot depression with about a ten foot wave waiting for us. Our lives dropped to supper slow mo as our impending doom approached. Then BAMB!!! I was knocked off the front of the boat and slammed into the dude behind me, but the river didnt get the best of me. From my seated position in the bottom of the boat (thats where i landed) i continued to paddle on, through the wave and came out victorious. Later on in the run the guide tried some fancy maneuvering and about got me ripped out the boat by the current and i lost my paddle, but considering that at that moment the boat almost tipped i consider one lost paddle a minor loss.

1 comment:
Oh, I'm jealous, I love rafting the Snake! We've gone w/ my family every summer the last few years but didn't go last year cuz I was prego. There's a cool spot (I think it's right after Lunch Counter) where you can pull your raft on shore, climb up on a huge rock and jump in. So fun, but SO COLD! Glad you had a good time!
Post a Comment